Saturday, May 21, 2011

Hunted:: Gathered: 05/22/11

I started off my thrifting week by going to the Long Beach Flea Market. I had not been in months and the weekend worked out perfectly for me to be able to go. I arrived at 8am and the rain was just started to let up. Many vendors had not unpacked yet for fear that it would continue to rain but luckily the rain did stop.

I bought this cute little Rorstrand pitcher because the pattern caught my eye. The pattern is called Koka. I couldn't stop rubbing it because the texture is so satiny.


As I was walking around, I passed by a vendor who had countless drafting/ drawing/ painting supplies in boxes. I started looking through them because I can't help myself with those things. An older gent inquired about a set of drawing pens and the vendor rudely replied that he was only selling the boxes with all of their contents, not individual items. The older gent proceeded to tell the vendor that he wanted the pens because he loved to draw and they were just what he was looking for. He then offered him $10 for the pens. The vendor said no, took the pens from the gent and put them back in the box. I looked at the gent and he had such sadness in his eyes. It broke my heart. I wanted to tell him I'd split the price for the box so he could take his pens at a lower price but I did not have the cash to do so. I ended up walking away with such distaste for that vendor. I know that as a vendor you ultimately want to reach your bottom line, but the man offered him $10 for a small set. He wanted $60 for the box and it would have still been pretty full and well worth it without the pens. How difficult would it have been to ask $50 for the box after he sold the pens? Not difficult at all.

A friend caught up with me a bit later and we walked around and looked at many beautiful pieces. We didn't really buy much, we just walked and talked and learned.  I did manage to buy my first Finel piece. I was so excited. It is in great condition. Since I've never seen them before in person I thought it had the wrong lid because it was slightly bigger and wiggled. When I got home I looked up some more Finel pieces and it seems that they are all like that. Phew!


My book find for the week is another kid's book with vibrant colors and illustrations. There are several pages that are compositionally wonderful.


Later in the week I went to a thrift store that I'd never been to before. I was in another town and of course had to look for some thrifts. There I found this cute David Stewart for Lion's Valley Stoneware camel planter. It has either a manufacturing defect or crack on the handle but it didn't matter to me. I'd never seen one of these before.


I also picked up this cute Fiestaware mug for my morning coffee. This is sure to bring a bit of sunshine to the start of my day!


Last but not least I bought some furniture. I hadn't gotten any furniture for a while and happened to come home with four of these mid-century style chairs. Yes, they need some work but I think I can make them shine again. Maybe I am crazy, we'll see. For now it is my next DIY project.


 How was your week? What did you find?

Linking up again with two lovely ladies:




21 comments:

  1. Ah geez that made me sad. I hate vendors like that. Part of being a seller (for me at any rate) is making someone happy. There is nothing like it in the world. I do love your stuff though! We got the same taste. I never and I mean EVER find good quality pottery like your camel. The chairs, dude you can make those incredible! I'll post what I found over the week tomorrow.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super finds - can't wait to see the refurbishment of those chairs. That vendor probably got a tummy-ache on the way home.Despite him it sounds like a wonderful market!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm, I hate vendors like that - it sucks when people are so rude to those who would like to pay them money. Yesterday I was on our local junk market and fell in love with an old satchel full of stamping blocks from the 1950s, made from gun metal. The vendor was willing to sell the bag to me for £40 (plus the stamps) even though the scrap metal value to her was £46. She couldn't sell me each bit because it wouldn't be worth her while - but at least she was polite about it!
    Love your Finel saucepan - gorgeous colours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's looks like you found a veritable treasure trove!
    and the grumpy seller is just that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i actually love-love how you make your items shine by giving them the spotlight! did you rub that pattern? i would too... i could feel it from here... he he...
    forget the vendor, he's sad. the children's book looks pretty intriguing, graphically.
    n♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh nice on the DS camel, I'm not sure if I've seen that sitting one before. The rorstrand pitcher is cool too. We used to hit LB Flea mkt, but it's a bit of a far drive so haven't gone in quite awhile. I hate vendors like that too - I understand they've got to make a buck, but there's ways to be nicer about it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh those chairs, oh oh oh, they're going to look AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your pictures always come out so great and clean! Great finds

    Smiles,
    The Joyful Thrifter

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely chairs, I can see them being absolutely gorgeous when you're finished with them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the camel. I misread your post the first time and thought that was the mug! I was wondering how on earth you were going to drink from it! Obviously the orange mug makes more sense! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi! Thanks for finding me over at my place! That chair is amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aw your story about the man made me quite sad, I don't understand vendors like that either-- I definitely won't be giving them my business.

    Lovely finds, I really like the camel mug and can't wait to see how you refinish the MCM chair!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have fallen in love with that chair...great find!!!
    Mxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the Finel saucepan...I dont think they are easy to find over here in the UK... Very retro...I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love that chair--definite refurb potential. And the story about the pens irritates me. No reason to be nasty, you know? I hope that dude never sold his stupid box.

    ReplyDelete
  16. sorry for the older gentleman. No reason to be so rude..
    lovely score, actually I quite like the weathered look of the chair, unexpected but nice

    ReplyDelete
  17. All amazing finds, I love the chair and saucepan, and quite like the chair the way it is with its rustic patina. Also, I want to write a comic about the jerks we encounter while thrifting, it's a running theme...

    Love the new banner/blog name too, by the way! Beautiful colors!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awww... what a sad story. I feel bad for that gentleman too. I agree with the other commenters, there's no excuse for that kind of rudeness. Thanks for sharing your lovely finds. The camel planter is so amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those chairs are amazing. Call me crazy, but I kinda like the "damaged" look on the legs. Gives it a rustic mid-century vibe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the chairs...can't wait to see the before & after on those beauties!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for the wonderful comments everyone! I truly appreciate it!

    I am currently working on one of the chairs and I'm afraid it's going to be more work than expected... still trying to get one of them posted this week...eek!

    ReplyDelete