Monday, March 14, 2011

Japan

Out of all of the places I have visited, Japan is one of my favorites. They are an incredibly thoughtful and friendly society. The country is filled with vibrant communities and I can only hope that their spirit is not broken.

My heart goes out to those who have suffered a loss and to those who are still trying to find their loved ones. I get chills every time I hear that Sendai was one of the places deeply affected by the earthquake, I was there a few years back. I had an incredible experience when I visited and I wanted to share some of the beauty that I was able to enjoy.



Seeing as it was an architecture trip, here we were admiring the beauty and innovation of the Sendai Mediatheque.

Another beautiful place that we visited in Sendai was the Kanno Museum.


With such an innovative and conscious culture, it comes as no surprise to read about their preparedness for events like these through educating their citizens and performing drills. It undoubtedly saved many lives. Despite the devastation that did take place, we cannot overlook the fact that if could have been much worse. They have some of the highest standards for buildings and have invested in retrofitting some of the older ones.  The New York Times had a small article on the subject. If you are interested in reading more about it you can do so here.


Japan, I love you. Feel better soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment