Saturday, April 2, 2011

Hunted:: Gathered: 03/28/11 Part II

Here is the follow up post with the rest of my thrifted items for the week.

I saw this piece peaking through a small space behind other frames at the thrift and was curious. I wrestled it out of its confines to get a better look and was instantly in love. It's a glass mosaic, but instead of the individual pieces of glass being set on the flat side, they are stacked on their sides. It is quite heavy too. Someone went through a lot of trouble to put this piece together only to later have it given away.

When I brought it home, the boy couldn't believe I bought another piece of art. He asked me what I thought the image was of and I said Maybe somewhere in Europe? He told me he thought it was somewhere in California. It turns out, he was right! We believe it to be an image of San Francisco. The artist took some liberties with the Golden Gate bridge You can see the Bay Bridge (thanks carolyn & stephanie) , Coit Tower in the background, as well as the bay.


I also found a Kosta Boda Snowball votive. It is solid and quite heavy for its size.


I usually don't look for ribbons or fabric because I have too many crafting items as is but this pattern caught my eye. Funnily enough the pattern is called Copenhagen, so I brought it home.


This is a cool Trifari necklace with a pendant that looks like a bird in flight. I like its mod look. Now does anyone know what a Caco Sterling mark means?
 

Next up is a Danish Teak Salt & Pepper set by Digsmed. They weren't sitting too far from the Copenhagen ribbon. Maybe they had the same home previously. They are in great shape and the price was right. I haven't been able to find any comparables but the Jens Quistgaard shakers can go for a pretty penny.



I went by a local estate sale only to find overpriced items that I didn't really care for. As I was on my way out I decided to stop by the patio. They had some wicker patio furniture and a table with random pots and plastics. Boy was I glad I stopped by the patio. There I found this Cathrineholm Dutch Oven in the lotus pattern. I was surprised to see that it wasn't overpriced like everything else. I took off the lid and it was in great shape. I honestly think that the only reason it wasn't overpriced is because it wasn't labeled. As I was walking out, the estate sale ladies were remarking on how cute it was. I couldn't agree more and I tried really hard to contain my excitement!

I must admit, the pot had some gunky stuff on the lid and the area around the holder. It almost looked like rust but thankfully it wasn't. After a good scrub it looks brand new.


This next item is a first for me. I usually leave the vinyl search to the boy but for some reason, it was calling out to me that day. Now I know you shouldn't judge a book by its cover, or in this case a record by its cover, but I am a highly visual person. I've only studied design for the majority of my life. I can't help it. This album cover was designed by Josef Albers and while it isn't a rare find it was fun discovering it. He actually designed several album covers related to Percussion. They are all modern, bold and graphic.

I enjoy this one because the dots give the sense of movement and reverberation. Instead of being inline with the rest of them, they appear to be bouncing along with the sounds from the album.


As if I needed to collect more china, I picked up these four Eschenbach cups which I don't think are vintage. I've had a hard time finding any information on current designers and patterns. After doing some research on the logo I believe it to be from 2000+. The designer's name is inside the cup which is fun but it doesn't make it easier to decipher. The pattern is playful with a touch of whimsy.



Last and certainly not least I found this fabulous book by Hans Peterson with pictures by Swedish designer Ylva Kallstrom.


The book isn't in the greatest shape but it didn't matter to me. I love the representation of the homes in the village. The colors are fantastic. The story is adorable. Really, there is nothing not to like about it.


 That wraps up my finds for the week. Am I greedy to wish for more weeks like this?


Pairing up again with :









16 comments:

  1. Oh I just love that mosaic! That would have taken an age to complete! Lovely picture book too, quite a haul!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the necklace, and the mosaic is so pretty too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW fab finds..i guessed the mosaic was San Fran..it's amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your mosaic is an excellent find! So pretty and so much detail, wow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. love, love, love that Dutch oven and teak s + p shakers, great finds this week .

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, such great finds! Never find Cath holm like that anymore. I need to get more educated on the jewelry stuff like that Trifari piece, have a feeling I've passed up a lot of good stuff. I've been picking up the Albers covers too when I can find 'em in good shape.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Man I wish I could score this stuff in bulk.SOOOoooooo very hard to come across in my section of Ohio.Enjoy your fabulous finds.I'm drooling on my end!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooooh! I do like that dutch oven!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am insanely jealous of the Catherineholm Dutch oven. I recently picked up my first piece of hers and now I am a convert. That mosaic is amazing, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love that pot! I know that feeling of finding something so good and being giddy with excitement about it! Others just don't understand the feeling :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the mosaic. It's actually the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge. Love the book illustrations too and of course the Catherineholm. You scored!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Catherine Holms pot was a great find! I'm still looking for one! Lana www.lifeatwildberrycottage.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. The illustrations in the book are so whimsical, and I'm totally jealous of your Cathrineholm find. Love that pot!

    ReplyDelete
  14. the glass picture is amazing. i love that! love the mugs too, whimsy is just the right word to describe it! great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Jen,

    Just found you through ATG. The glass mosaic is amazing and the book is a great find too. Great finds.

    Amy in Sebastopol

    ReplyDelete
  16. I often bring home slightly (or very) sad looking children's books because the illustrations are too sweet to leave behind. I have been considering some craft projects that would incorporate the illustrations, but so far I have not been able to make myself cut up a book, even a book with some damage.

    ReplyDelete